Thursday, May 8, 2008

Head On

To be honest, I was rather confused by this movie. While I enjoyed it, I did not understand how it related to our class. Although it depicted the troubled lives of two Turks in Germany, I did not feel that their status as immigrants played any role in their life. Cahit was simply distraught over his wife's death which is never elaborated upon and Sibel only seeks to get away from her traditionalist parents.

On the other hand, the movie itself was a good watch. Although very dark, it had an interesting and compelling plot. In addition, I couldn't help but be reminded of Fair Play when the movie rewound through the events.

I was, however, confused by the part of the musicians on the beach. The movie began with a scene with them and they were interspersed throughout the movie. I was unsure if they were meant to play the part of the chorus in theater, providing narration through the story. Is this something that is common in Turkish theater?

No comments: